Rowing Machine or Stairmaster: Which One is Better for a Perfect Workout?
Are you ready to get back in shape? Great! But, if you are confused about where to start, don’t worry! You are not alone. When people decide to maintain their fitness routine after spending weeks on Netflix and chilling, they often face difficulty deciding what will work for them. Whether I should take a gym membership or rely on a home gym? Should I choose Stairmaster workout or shop for rowing machines online in the USA? These are a few common questions that come to mind before making the right decision. Well, it’s common to get confused when you have a lot of choices ahead of you. People who love indoor workout have a plethora of choices like treadmills, rowers, elliptical, Stairmaster, and stationary bike. Therefore, in this blog post, we’ll break down the pros and cons of two popular fitness machines, the Rowing Machine and Stairmaster. So, if you also want to know which fitness equipment will help you achieve your fitness goal, this is a must-read post for you.
What is a Rowing Machine? Top Health Benefits of Rowing MachineA rowing machine is a fitness machine that is used to simulate the action of watercraft rowing for exercise or training. The home and gym rower machine is also known as ergometers. A rowing workout requires four basic phases to complete one stroke – the catch, the drive, the finish, and the recovery. Here’s how a rowing machine can help you stay healthy and fit.
- Burn calories – Rowing is known as the calorie burner workout. According to Harvard Health Publications, a 185-pound person can expect to burn 311 calories in 30 minutes with a moderate rowing workout. But, the results can differ for everyone as it depends on the workout intensity, duration, and weight of the person.
- Full body workout – The major muscle group rowing targets are quadriceps, calves, and glutes. Though there are many misconceptions that rowing only works for arms, it is a total-body workout.According to the American Fitness Professionals Association, rowing consists of 65-70% leg work and 25-35% upper body workout. In addition, it is a suitable workout for beginners too.
- Improve heart and lung health – Rowing help strengthens the cardiovascular system, which includes the heart, blood vessels, and blood. Rowing is an intense workout. As a result, your heart works hard to transport blood to the body, which improves heart strength. Moreover, rowing also reduces the risk of heart problems.
- Meditative workout – Rowing outside on the water is a meditative and calming experience. You can enjoy almost the same benefits with indoor rowing too. Rowing promotes the release of endorphins, the ‘feel-good hormones,’ and helps reduce stress.
Pros and Cons of Rowing Machine
Now, let’s know the pros and cons of a rowing machine to help you choose the right fitness machine for a perfect workout.
- When looking for an effective and efficient workout, rowing is perfect.
- The rowing machine is a budget-friendly fitness machine.
- It is suitable for a perfect low-impact workout.
- The rowing machine needs a lot of space because of the flywheel. So, it can be difficult to place the rowing machine in a small apartment.
- If you don’t use it properly, the rowing machine can result in back pain or injury.
- Every time you pull back, the rowing machine makes a loud noise.
What is a Stairmaster? Top Health Benefits of Stairmaster!Stairmaster is a never-ending escalator. In other words, it is a stationary fitness machine that rotates steps allowing the user to climb upward in one place. Stairmaster models such as the SM3 and 4G provide a great above-average cardio workout. Though it offers dozen health benefits, here we have listed the top Stairmaster health benefits for you.
- Improved cardiovascular health – A Stairmaster workout can make your heart strong and efficient. It is the perfect cardio exercise that can cause your heart to beat at an increased rate. In addition, it can help lower high blood pressure, control cholesterol and diabetes, and reduce the risk of heart and arterial disease.
- Stronger bones – The Stairmaster workout is a weight-bearing exercise that is good for bones. It helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis. So, if you want strong and healthy bones, Stairmaster is the right choice. As you get older, maintaining bone health becomes more important, and Stairmaster can help with it.
- Improved mental health – As you climb the stair in Stairmaster fitness equipment, your body release endorphins which help boost the mood and reduce stress-level.It can also help reduce the feeling of anxiety and depression, which contributes to improving the overall mental health.
- Weight loss – If your goal is to get back in shape and lose weight, the Stairmaster workout can help you achieve your fitness goals. According to research, people can burn 180-260 calories in a 30-minute Stairmaster workout session. Furthermore, you can adjust the pace and choose an intense workout to get desired calorie burn rate.
Pros and Cons of StairmasterHere are a few Stairmaster pros and cons you need to know before you choose the right workout machine.
- It’s a low-impact workout which makes it perfect for people with knee or other joint issues.
- Stairmaster helps in weight-bearing exercise, which helps increase bone mass.
- Stairmaster can be used for interval training.
- It requires a period of adaption before getting used to the Stairmaster movement.
- It is not suitable for people with back issues.
- A Stairmaster workout is not an upper-body workout.